Print PDF File
OHIO HIGH SCHOOL ATHLETIC ASSOCIATION
SOUTHWEST DISTRICT BOARD
BASKETBALL TOURNAMENT REGULATIONS AND INSTRUCTIONS
1. SEEDING PROCESS. Per the decision of the State Board of Directors, all teams competing in a bracketed tournament will be seeded. The manager will distribute voting procedures and materials to each coach prior to the start of the tournament manager’s meeting. This will enable each coach to vote and have his votes back to the tournament manager by Saturday, noon, February 2, 2013 for girls basketball, and by Saturday, noon, February 9, 2013, for boys basketball, before the tournament manager’s meeting on Sunday, February 3, 2013, for girls basketball, and Sunday, February 10, 2013, for boys basketball. The tournament manager will either distribute in written form or verbalize the seed voting of all coaches in the tournament on the day of the manager’s meeting. All ties will be broken prior to the placement of teams on the brackets. In Open Placement Tournaments (formerly open draw tournaments) or tournaments involving two or more sectionals in which schools go to the sectional of their choice, the team may go on any bracket provided that the bracket is open and it is that coach’s turn.
By board action, starting with the 2011-2012 tournaments, the coach cannot vote for his school in the seeding process, and the highest and lowest votes for each school will be dropped in the final tabulation.
Once the seeds have been determined for each team in the tournament, the seeds will go onto the brackets in order of seed. The first seeded team will go on followed by the second seeded team. Any seeded team may choose to pass, and if it does so, the next seeded team will be given a choice to go on the bracket. After a team goes on the bracket, the team that chose to pass will again be given an opportunity to go on the bracket. This process will continue until the bracket is filled.
2. Any team that does not show at the tournament placement meeting, will go on the bracket last. Any school that does not get seed voting to the manager by Saturday, Noon, (February 2 for girls, February 9 for boys) will not be permitted to vote at a later time. Any school that does not meet voting requirements but does attend the placement meeting, will receive the votes that the school received for seeding purposes and will be seeded accordingly. If a coach is late for the seed meeting, and has missed his opportunity to go on the bracket, his absence will be determined as a pass, and he will be given an opportunity to go on once he is in attendance.
TOURNAMENT DRAWINGS WILL BE AS FOLLOWS FOR BOTH BOYS AND GIRLS:
The District Board shall pre-draw District Brackets and assign all qualifying teams to a determined position on the bracket. The pre-drawn brackets and assignments will be available on the District website. Game times will be announced at the District Qualifying Meeting. The top team on the bracket will be the home team and wear white.
|Sunday, February 3, 2013, 2:00 p.m.||Sunday, February 10, 2013, 2:00 p.m.|
|At Wyoming High School||At Wyoming High School|
|Lakota East||Division I||Cincinnati||Division I, Sections 1, 2, 3, 4, 5|
|Kings||Division I||Mason||Division II|
|Harrison||Division I||Cincinnati||Division III, Sections 1, 2, 3|
|Withrow||Division II||Oak Hills||Division IV|
|2:00 p.m. – Wright State Nutter Center||2:00 p.m. Trent Arena|
|Troy||Division I||Dayton||Division I Sections 1, 2, 3|
|Lebanon||Division I||Dayton||Division III, Sections 1, 2, 3|
|2:00 p.m. – Tipp City High School||2:00 p.m. – Trent Arena|
|Tipp City||Division III||Troy||Division IV|
|Brookville||Division IV||Fairmont Trent Arena|
|2:00 p.m. – Piqua High School|
3. Arrangements should be made by each Manager for copies of brackets to be given out at conclusion of drawings on February 3, 2013 for Girls, and February 10, 2013 for Boys. Please send results of brackets to Cheryl Brandenburg (E-mail: email@example.com or fax 937-895-4075 for posting to the Southwest District website www.swdab.org.
4. Assignment lists of officials will be given to each Manager by the Tournament Official Assigner after the drawing is completed. OFFICIALS LIST IS NOT TO BE REVEALED BY THE MANAGER TO ANYONE.
5. A complete alphabetical list of all Tournament Officials with addresses and telephone numbers will be given to each Tournament Manager, along with the sheet of assignments at the drawing. Dates of assignments will also be included.
6. All Tournament Officials have been checked for registration and for meeting attendance requirements.
7. Officials will work only one (1) game per session. Reimbursement of officials will be $70.00 per game for Boys and Girls Sectional games. Girls and Boys District Officials will be paid $100.00 per game. Mileage will be paid when the official travels in excess of fifty (50) miles one way from his place of residence. Mileage will be one dollar per mile at mile fifty-one (51). The tournament manager will determine mileage by using MapQuest. Officials working at any tournament site will be permitted admission for the evening they work, as well as one (1) other person accompanying them. SPECIFICALLY - ADMISSION IS ONE AND ONE THE NIGHT OF EMPLOYMENT, AND NO MORE.
8. Officials will be determined by a vote of the coaches, principals, and athletic administrators. Voting will be conducted on-line, and ballots will no longer be collected at the time of the draw.
9. When a forfeit occurs, officials will be paid for the contest. If officials are at the site and a forfeit occurs, he will be paid the game fee.
10. EMERGENCY -In case an official does not show up as per assignment, or makes a last minute cancellation, the Manager shall fill the vacancy from the certified list of Tournament Officials. Failure of an official to show up or to notify the manager shall result in disciplinary action by the District Board.
11. Brackets as submitted by Managers have been approved by the District Board. TheDistrict Board grants Managers, with the approval of the District Board, the right to assign sites for participating teams as the tournament progresses.
12. The basketballs used for sectional and district tournaments will be approved by the State Board of Directors and provided by the OHSAA.
13. Each school will be permitted to dress fifteen (15) players. Seats will be provided for seventeen (17) individuals. NO EXTRA SEATS WILL BE PROVIDED BY THE TOURNAMENT MANAGER.
14. No meal allowance or team mileage will be paid for the tournament games.
15. BOYS AND GIRLS SECTIONAL/DISTRICT TOURNAMENTS - EACH BOYS AND GIRLS SECTIONAL TOURNAMENT WILL RETURN TO PARTICIPATING SCHOOLS 50% OF THE TOTAL PRE-GAME TICKET SALES PROVIDED THAT TWENTY-FIVE (25) TICKETS ARE SOLD.
Advance pre-sale tickets will be offered to the adults and students at $6.00 each. All tickets will be $7.00 at the gate.
Each school is responsible for turning in all monies collected for tickets each night of participation. No school is to keep any money for tickets sold. This will be returned to all schools after all tournaments are financially settled.
ALSO, pre-sale of school tickets will not be permitted on game night at the site. ALL TICKET MONIES WILL BE TURNED IN ONE (1) HOUR BEFORE GAME TIME.
16. All programs will be provided by the District Board as per the board’s contract with Royal Publishing.
17. Passes to be supplied as follows (as adopted by the State Board of Control):
a) Player admittance- contestants will be checked off each evening of participation by a team sheet at the gate. Limit is 24, which includes team players, coaches, managers, and statisticians.
b) Cheerleaders - A maximum of eight (8) cheerleaders in uniform and a sponsor will be admitted free of charge. Only eight (8) cheerleaders in uniform may perform at any one time. A mascot will be considered one (1) of the eight (8). Managers are responsible for enforcing this rule. Cheerleaders and sponsor will be admitted by a check-off system such as is used by the team. Admittance is only for the game their team is participating in.
c) Boys Basketball Coach - One (1) pass good for two (2) persons to any Boys Tournament in all divisions. Two (2) passes, color-coded, division of school only.
d) Girls Basketball Coach - One (1) pass good for two (2) persons to any Girls Tournament in all divisions. Two (2) passes, color-coded, division of school only.
e) Tournament Managers will use their own method of admitting the working press, radio, or TV, as requested and needed.
f) Superintendent, Principal, Athletic Director, and Administrative Supervisor - One (1) pass good for two (2) persons, all classifications, MAILED IN SEPTEMBER.
g) By Board Approval: Schools were mailed two (2) administrative supervisor passes to be used in place of the two (2) complimentary roll tickets.
18. Radio rights fees for live broadcasting have been established by the State Board of Control. See attached sheet.
19. Anyone wishing to televise games must contact the Secretary of the Southwest District Board for fee structure.
20. Each Manager is responsible for having a doctor, nurse, or rescue squad available at all times during the playing of games or arrangements made for immediate evacuations on a stand-by basis.
21. Per the ruling of the Southwest District Board, bands will be permitted at the BOYS AND GIRLS DISTRICT BASKETBALL GAMES. Banners, confetti, signs, horns, drums, or any mechanical noise makers are not permitted. Hand towels are permitted. Tournament Managers are to be alert for any infractions. Designated areas shall be marked by each Manager with appropriate signs for each school participating. Also, directional signs shall be posted at every entrance directing crowds to respective school sections. Board action has stated there will be no crash sheets for teams coming onto the floor. The OHSAA does not have a ruling governing painted faces and this rule would be hard to enforce considering faces can be painted after admittance to the site. Therefore, any damages that would be incurred either through painted faces or damages to property are the responsibility of the participating school(s). The Tournament Manager should notify the school(s) involved and the Treasurer of the SWDAB of the damages and a deduction will be made from their share of tournament receipts.
22. The Manager is responsible for seeing that adequate police protection is provided--before, during, and after the games.
23. The official scorer shall wear a striped shirt.
24. By State Board of Director’s decision, fifteen percent of all Boys’ Tournaments and five percent of all Girl’s Tournaments will be sent to the State Office.
25. Suggestions for final financial reports:
a) Radio receipts are to be counted as a part of total when figuring OHSAA share.
b) Manager's Expenses fees are to be taken out by all Managers on their financial report.
NOTE: Managers are paid $55.00 per game. Asst. Managers are paid $25.00 per game.
26. Send no monies or reports to the OHSAA until the District Board has reviewed your financial work copy. Reports should be emailed to Bob Huelsman (firstname.lastname@example.org ) as quickly as possible.
27. In case of any possible trouble at a game, the Manager may move the time and site of the game. The site may be changed to anywhere in the Southwest District. The time may be changed to as early as 5:00 p.m. on school days and anytime on Saturdays and not before 2:00 p.m. on Sunday.
Before the final change is made, the Manager must call the District Board President for permission. All spectators may be barred in case the Manager feels it is necessary for the safety of players, officials, and the general public.
28. All officials working each session must be provided reserved parking places as near the playing site as possible.
29. Awards - The only awards will be those given at the Boys and Girls District Tournaments.
30. By State Board action, a school may film or videotape Sectional or District games in 2011 provided this has been cleared with the Tournament Manager, site personnel, and the space is available.
Only one (1) person can be used for the filming or videotaping and passes for this individual will NOT be issued. It is the responsibility of schools to secure a ticket for their film person. FILMING OR VIDEOTAPING OF POTENTIAL OPPONENTS GAMES IS PROHIBITED.
31. UNSPORTSMANLIKE CONDUCT PENALTY. During participation in OHSAA tournaments, any student or coach ejected for unsportsmanlike conduct shall be ineligible for all contests for the remainder of that day. In addition, the player or coach shall be ineligible for all contests at all levels in basketball until two regular season/tournament contests are competed at the same level as the ejection. Individuals ejected for unsportsmanlike conduct shall be reported to the OHSAA Commissioner by the tournament manager. The Commissioner will investigate the situation and may impose additional penalties in accordance with Bylaw 12 if the situation warrants it.
32. By District Board Action. In the case of unsportsmanlike conduct by players, coaches, or fans, the tournament manager is required to file an incident report with the District Board and send the report to Dale E. Creamer, 9016 Pleasant Plain Road, Brookville, OH 45309.
33. By District Board Action. A new Weather Cancellation Policy was adopted:
The Southwest District Board has established the following policy for cancellation or postponement of tournaments.
Schools participating in Boys/Girls Basketball and located in a county that experiences a Level Two (2) or Level Three (3) weather emergency, shall have the contest postponed. The weather emergency must be verified by the Tournament Manager.
Tournament managers must contact each schools Coach, Athletic Director, or Principal.
Schools are also encouraged to make use of the Board website for updated information regarding postponements and cancellations. All results will be posted to the Southwest District website www.swdab.org .
The Tournament Manager will contact the Board Secretary, who will work with the managers to contact the "News Media".
Prior to the start of tournaments, the Managers will be instructed to make available to the Board, a contingency plan for weather emergencies.
34. Media Credentials. Reservations are made directly with the site manager.
35. BOARD MOTION: The District Board has the right to change sites, dates, and times of any contest at their discretion. Board adopted, April 1997.