SWD State Champs
2012-2013 MINUTES IN
September 4, 2012
October 2, 2012
November 7, 2012
November 30, 2012
December 12, 2012
January 19, 2013
February 4, 2013
March 3, 2013
April 12-13, 2013
View Archived Minutes
2006 to Present
Southwest District Athletic Board
April 12-13, 2013, Minutes
Roll Call: Andy Bixler, President, Tim Cook, Vice-President,
Mark Hughes, John Kronour, Pat McBride, Jim Sherard, Jonas Smith, Jan
Wilking, Steve Zimmerman, Bob Huelsman, Treasurer, Dale Creamer,
Motion by Kronour and seconded by Hughes to approve minutes from
March 3, 2013, meeting.
Motion passed 9-0.
Deposit - Durkle
Deposit - SWDAB
Deposit - Rossi/Denney
|Max Saver –
|Max Saver SWDAB
Account Fifth Third
School Bonuses – 2013
1. Winter tournaments reviewed. Expenditures and receipts from
last three years.
2. Per game costs per site.
3. Sites using Turn-Key were reviewed.
4. Encumbered and unencumbered funds were reviewed.
Moved by Sherard and seconded by Smith to approve report.
Motion passed 9-0.
Moved by Kronour and seconded by Cook to give each participating
school a bonus of $500.00 for the 2012-2013 school year.
Motion passed 9-0. Checks will be sent out in the fall.
Board commended Mr. Huelsman for his diligence and thoroughness in
implementing Turn-Key operations.
STATE BOARD OF DIRECTORS REPORT – MR. MARK HUGHES
1. EMIS numbers. Secretaries will have divisional make-ups for
fall by June 5, 2013.
2. Competitive Balance Referenedum was discussed.
3. Bowling. Second division in 2013-2014.
4. Wrestling. Attempt to move tournaments back one week starting in
5. Rawlings contract for basketballs finalized.
6. Kroton Kraft contract finalized.
7. Coaching proposals were discussed.
No meeting has been held to report.
1. Letters from Taylor and Troy Christian High Schools were studied.
2. Bill Stewart sent a letter concerning flat fee for spring
1. Cross Country. Board members toured VOA Park and felt that
it has matured. It will be adopted in motion to accept fall sites and
2. Coaches not voting in bracketed tournaments. Motion by Cook and
seconded by Sherard that a coach that does not vote will lose his
highest, next highest, and lowest vote prior to final calculation.
Motion passed 9-0. This will be implemented in spring sports (2013).
3. Board finalized agenda for Adminstrator’s Breakfast on April
Scholarship applications were reviewed.
2. Fall tournament sites and managers were adopted. Motion by
Smith and seconded by Wilking to approve list. Motion passed 9-0.
3. Moved by Wilking and seconded by Kronour to approve contract
with GoDaddy for website hosting. Motion passed 9-0.
4. Board vacancies. The board decided to advertise vacancies on
website with applications and resume due by May 10, 2013. Advertisement
will run from April 26 to May 10, 2013. Interviews will begin on May 16,
2013, during May monthly meeting. Mr. Kronour, Ms. Wilking, and Mr.
Smith will screen applications prior to interviews.
5. Evaluations were conducted for secretary and treasurer.
6. Calendar revisions or additions:
May 16, 2013, 3:00 p.m., May Meeting, Mamma’s Restaurant
June 4, 2013, 3:30 p.m., June Meeting, Mamma’s Restaurant
January 25, 2014, All day meeting, Site TBD
April 11-12, 2014, Great Wolf Lodge
Coaches’ Representatives Meeting, Saturday, April 13, 2013
Basketball Coaches – 10:15 a.m.
Representatives, Kris Spriggs, Kenton Ridge; Rich Hoyt, Summit
Country Day; Adam Priefer, Centerville High School
Highest seeded team hosting the first two rounds.
Division 1 Girls’ District, locate more centrally located in
Oak Hills not a good site because of location not because of
Eliminate the District Qualifier Meeting.
Open Draw in Division II for both boys and girls.
Why is Carroll and Trotwood in different sectionals than their
District finals for girls should rotate or choose more centrally
Coaches have more input in choosing tournament officials.
Wrestling Representatives – 11:00 a.m.
Representatives: Gary Wise, Beavercreek; Chris Switzer, Loveland High
Great sites at both Fairfield and Centerville.
Open Draw format went well.
Seeding process between Southeast and Southwest is not consistent.
Seed six wrestlers in sectionals.
Should be a penalty for coaches that choose not to vote.
Coaches would like to go to Nutter Center for Districts.
Athletic Directors – 1:30 p.m.
Representatives: Joe Kimling, Phil Poggi, Jon Payne
Three games on school night in Boy’s District finals in
Tennis AP testing conflicts.
Baseball and Softball flat fees.
Swimming Representatives – 1:30 p.m.
Representatives: Jennifer Jervis, Oakwood; Mark Sullivan, Mason.
Inconsistency and unfairness in judging diving.
Concern about two divers qualifying in each sectional site.
Order of dives in Districts. First three dives should be twisting
and reverse dives.
Length of Trotwood sectional meet.
Stop charging coaches or set a higher minimum number of coaches
Meet mobile at sectionals.
Alternate charges at Districts.