OHIO HIGH SCHOOL ATHLETIC ASSOCIATION
2012 VOLLEYBALL – SOUTHWEST DISTRICT
1. SEEDING PROCESS. Per the decision of the State Board of Control, all teams competing in a bracketed tournament will be seeded. The manager will distribute voting procedures and materials to each coach prior to the start of the tournament manager’s meeting. This will enable each coach to vote and have his votes back to the tournament manager by Friday, noon, October 5, 2012, before the tournament manager’s meeting on Sunday, October 7, 2012. The tournament manager will either distribute in written form or verbalize the seed voting of all coaches in the tournament on the day of the manager’s meeting. All ties will be broken prior to the placement of teams on the brackets. In Open Placement Tournaments (formerly open draw tournaments) or tournaments involving two or more sectionals in which schools go to the sectional of their choice, the team may go on any bracket provided that the bracket is open and it is that coach’s turn.
By board action, starting with the 2011-2012 tournaments, the coach can not vote for his school in the seeding process, and the highest and lowest votes for each school will be dropped in the final tabulation. Once the seeds have been determined for each team in the tournament, the seeds will go onto the brackets in order of seed. The first seeded team will go on followed by the second seeded team. Any team may choose to pass, and if does so, the next seeded team will be given a choice to go on the bracket. After a seeded team goes on the bracket, the seeded team that chose to pass will again be given an opportunity to go on the bracket. This process will continue until the bracket is filled.
Any team that does not show at the tournament placement meeting will go on the bracket last. Any school that does not get seed voting to the manager by Friday, Noon, October 5, 2012, will not be permitted to vote at a later time. Any school that does not meet voting requirements but does attend the placement meeting will receive the votes that the school received for seeding purposes and will be seeded accordingly. If a coach is late for the seed meeting and has missed his opportunity to go on the bracket, his absence will be determined as a pass, and will be given an opportunity to go on once he is in attendance. If more than one coach does not show up, the tournament manager will flip a coin to determine the order of placement on the bracket.
2. All tournament managers should receive a copy of the Girl’s Volleyball Regulations from the OHSAA office and the manager will go over all rules and regulations, as well as share the results of the coaches voting for seeds. These regulations must be strictly observed. If you have any questions, please contact Dale Creamer, Board Secretary, 9016 Pleasant Plain Road, Brookville, 45309. Home phone: 937-833-4771; Cell Phone: 937-475-3833; Fax: 937-833-4755.
3. Admission will be $6.00 at the sectional and $6.00 at the district tournaments.
4. Per adopted board motion: Schools hosting a tournament contest and choosing not to charge admission will have a penalty levied against them.
5. Per adopted board motion: Charging to park at a tournament contest held in a high school venue is not permitted.
6. A time schedule for starting each match shall be adhered to.
7. The warm-up period shall be 20 minutes as follows: 4 minutes with both teams handling the ball on their side of the net; 7 minutes team serving first has the whole court; 7 minutes receiving team has full court; 2 minutes both teams service across net (one team on each side). Rev. 9-23-07.
8. A total of 22 free admittance per team on the night they are performing will be permitted. Admittance will be for 15 players, 3 coaches, 2 managers, and 2 statisticians. A check-off system for admittance is the responsibility of each manager. Teams defeated may return to the sectional tournament games by using the check-off system for admittance. Six cheerleaders and one advisor will be admitted by letter from the principal, given to the tournament manager at the drawing. For the district tournament, only those competing teams will be admitted by a special pass.
9. Officials will be assigned by the District Board. Each tournament will be responsible for scorer, timer, and scoreboard operation. Officials will be paid $45.00 at sectionals and $55.00 at districts. Line judges for sectional tournaments are at the discretion of each manager (2 line judges at $25 each per match). The District Board will assign line judges for District competition (2 line judges at $35 each per match). Officials will receive a travel allowance of $1.00 per mile when traveling in excess of 50 miles to the contest. Distance from the official’s headquarters will be determined by the tournament manager entering the official’s starting point (home) and ending point into MapQuest or another similar Internet mapping device.
10. The official ball that shall be used for all tournaments is the Molten IV 58L-BLK/SLV-OH. Ball will be furnished by the OHSAA.
11. Manager shall contact officials assigned to their tournament and provide them necessary information. Contact should be made two weeks prior to tournament.
12. All managers should notify all press, radio and TV stations of your tournament and give needed information for good coverage.
13. The financial report and results of tournament games should be mailed to: Robert Huelsman, Treasurer, 307 Steven Street, Covington, 45318, within TWO WEEKS after completion of the tournament.
14. Team participation forms are to be sent to the OHSAA.